Loving Life TV

Q&A.142.BIBLE – How Do We Biblically Pray for Government Leaders and Israel

Home Forums DAILY BREAD BY VIKING BOER BIBLE Q & A WITH VIKING BOER Q&A.142.BIBLE – How Do We Biblically Pray for Government Leaders and Israel

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    VIKING BOER

Q&A.142.BIBLE – How Do We Biblically Pray for Government Leaders and Israel

That is a tremendous question. Let me give you some ideas. First of all, when it comes to our government leaders, pray that God would give them wisdom. Pray that God would keep them from evil. Pray that God would guide them and exhort them to do justice, in whatever land they live in. And pray that God would bring them to salvation. When Paul says in 1 Timothy that we should pray for all men, for kings and leaders in this and that, the idea most immediately seems to mean praying for their salvation. So pray for the salvation of these leaders. Pray as well that God would give them wisdom and guide them.
    Now, this is my understanding of this, and if you differ, maybe we could talk about it sometime. I don’t believe that Christians should desire any special favor or treatment within a country, not more than any other religious group. No, I think it’s appropriate for government to do things to accommodate and allow the free expression of religion. What we want as believers is freedom. We want liberty. We pretty much say, “Let us have liberty to do what God has called us to do.” And God will work through us.
    We’re not looking for special favors. So we don’t pray that governmental leaders would give Christians or any other religious group special advantages. We pray simply that we would be able to serve the Lord in the way God asked us to, that, as it says in the Bible, the word of the Lord would have a free course and be glorified.
    Now, how do we pray for Israel? I would suggest a couple of ways. First of all, pray for the peace of Jerusalem in Israel. It’s a good thing to pray for peace in Israel and in Jerusalem. (Psalm 122:6). I believe that God has given a special place for the Jewish people, for Israel in the land. I do think that it is important for Israel to live well and to treat their Arabic neighbors well who are not Jewish. It’s very important that they do right towards them, that that’s beyond dispute.
    But I believe God has a place for the Jewish people in that land. And let me continue: not only should we pray for the peace of Israel, but we should pray for the salvation of Israel. One of the great promises of Scripture is that all Israel shall be saved. And we look forward to that with great anticipation: that Israel would come to recognize Jesus Christ, their blessed Messiah, and that they would put their trust in who He is and what He did for them, especially what He did on the cross as a fulfillment of every Old Testament prophecy and sacrifice that was made. This is what we should pray for, and ask God to speed that day when Israel as a whole trusts in Jesus Christ as their Messiah.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.