Loving Life TV

Bible Survey – John-PETER HAMMOND

Home Forums FRONTLINE FELLOWSHIP-DR PETER HAMMOND Bible Survey – John-PETER HAMMOND

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nat Quinn
    Keymaster

BIBLE SURVEY – JOHN

The full message on John as delivered to Livingstone Fellowship can be listened to here.

“These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God and that believing you may have life in His Name.” John 20:31

The Purpose of John’s Gospel
    “That you may believe.” and “that believing you may have life in His Name.”

The Structure of John
    The Revelation of Christ
    The Rejection of Christ
    The Redemption of Christ
    The Resurrection of Christ

Distinctive Features of John’s Gospel
    Over half of the Book deals with the last week of Christ’s life on earth.
    The first cleansing of the Temple (2:13-17).
    Only in John do we read of the conversation with Nicodemus (3:1-21).
    The woman at the well (4:1-26).
    The discourse condemning the Jews at the Feast of Booths (7:14-39 & 8:3-58).
    The parable of the Good Shepherd (10).
    The teaching with the Disciples (14-17).
    The meeting with the Disciples at the Sea of Galilee (21).

Major emphasis: Logos, Faith and Eternal Life; I Am; The Trinity; Salvation; Mission; Glory.

50% of John is direct speech/quotes from Jesus Christ.
    105 allusions to the Old Testament.
    20 Direct quotes from the Old Testament
    and 92% unique material.

The “I AM’s” of CHRIST
    1. I Am The Bread of Life John 6:35
    2. I Am from Above John 8:23
    3. I Am The Eternal One John 8:58
    4. I Am The Light of the World John 9:5
    5. I Am The Door John 10:7
    6. I Am The Good Shepherd John 10:11-14
    7. I Am The Son of God John 10:36
    8. I Am The Resurrection and the Life John 11:25
    9. I Am The Lord and Master John 13:13
    10. I Am The Way, the Truth and the Life John 14:16
    11. I Am The True Vine John 15:1
    12. I Am The Alpha and Omega Revelation 1:8
    13. I Am The First and the Last Revelation 1:17

God the Father in John’s Gospel
    The Fatherhood of God is referred to over one hundred times in John’s Gospel:
    God is the Spiritual Father (4:25).
    God is the life-giving Father (5:21).
    The Father is greater than all (10:29).
    The works are of the Father (14:10).
    God is the Indwelling Father (14:23).
    God is the Eternal Father (17:5).
    God is the Holy Father (17:11).
    God is the Righteous Father (17:25).

The Holy Spirit in John’s Gospel
    The Incoming Spirit (3:5),
    The Indwelling Spirit (4:14).
    The Overflowing Spirit (7:38-39).
    The Abiding Presence (14:16).
    The Teacher and Reminder (14:26).
    The Testifier/Witnessing Spirit (15:26).
    The Converter (16:13).
    The Glorifier of Jesus (16:14).
    The Discloser of Jesus (16:15).

Miracles in John’s Gospel
    John records 8 miracles/signs of Christ (besides His Resurrection).
    6 of these miracles are only found in this Gospel:
    1. Turning water into wine (2:1-11).
    2. Healing the nobleman’s son (4:46-54).
    3. Healing the crippled man at the pool (5:1-9).
    4. Feeding the 5,000 (6:1-14).
    5. Walking on water (6:15-21).
    6. Restoring sight to the man born blind (9:1-7).
    7. The raising of Lazarus from the dead (11).
    8. The second great catch of fish (21:1-6).

Witnesses in John’s Gospel
    John the Baptist: “This is the Son of God.” (1:34).
    Nathan: “You are the Son of God.” (1:49).
    Apostle Peter: “You are the Holy One of God.” (6:69).
    Martha: “You are the Christ, the Son of God.” (11:27).
    Thomas: “My Lord and my God!” (20:28).
    John: “Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.” (20:31).
    The Holy Spirit (16:13-14).
    The Father (8:18).
    Christ’s Mighty Works (10:38).
    The Scriptures (1:19-50).
    Jesus Himself (8:58).

Salvation is:
    “Not of natural descent.
    “Not of human decision.
    “Nor of the will of man.
    “But of God.” John 1:13

Who Was John?
    It is a fascinating fact that, in John’s Gospel, he never mentions himself by name. John names the other disciples, without writing his own name, but refers to “the other disciple”, or “the disciple whom Jesus loved”.

Most of the followers of Jesus were not wealthy people, but John was a man who worked in a family business owned by his father, Zebedee, in northern Galilee. They also had a second home in Jerusalem. John had access to the house of Caiaphas, the High Priest.

One day, John was captivated by a Man who spoke like no other man had even spoken before. John was drawn to Jesus. He sensed the Person and the power of God in this Man. When Jesus said, “Follow Me and I will make you a fisher of men”, John trusted Jesus enough to forsake prosperity, comfort and safety.

At the Mount of Crucifixion, at Golgotha, other than the women disciples, John was the only man who stood at the foot of the Cross. All the men had fled. They had abandoned the Lord in fear that their fate would be the same as that of Jesus. He stood there at the risk of his own life. There was every probability that he could be arrested and crucified as Jesus had been.

In Chapter 19, we read the last gasping breaths of our Lord, whose excruciatingly painful crucifixion allowed very little breath for speaking. Jesus, in agony on the Cross, said seven phrases from the Cross: “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.” “It is finished!” “Into Thy hands I commend my Spirit.”

From the Cross, Jesus gasped out to Mary, “This is your son.” Then to John he said, “This is your mother.” Jesus entrusted John to fulfil the duties to care for His mother, Mary.

Unique to John’s Gospel
    The first three Gospels of the New Testament, Matthew, Mark and Luke are called the Synoptic Gospels. They cover much of the same content. Many of the same events, many teachings and incidents, are related in different words and sometimes word for word. Most of John is unique.

In the Gospel of John we have some of the most beloved and familiar Words in all the Bible:
    “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.”
    “Unless a man is born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of Heaven. Unless a man is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God.”
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
    “God is Spirit and His worshipers must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.”
    “Open your eyes and look on the fields, for they are ripe for harvest.”
    “Those who have done good will rise to live and those who have done evil, will rise to be condemned.”
    “How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, but make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the one and only God?”
    “I am the Bread of Life.”
    “All that the Father gives to Me will come to Me. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I will lose none of them that He has given Me, but raise them up on the Last Day.”
    “If any man is thirsty, let Him come to Me and drink. Whoever believes in Me as Scripture says, streams of life-giving water will flow from within him.”
    “Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more.”
    “I am the Light of the world, whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness.”
    “You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”
    “I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”
    “I am the Resurrection and the Life. He who believes in Me will live even though he dies.”
    “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except by Me.”
    “Greater love has no one than this, than that he lay down his life for his friends.”

These and many other passages were first written in the Gospel according to St. John.

True Discipleship
    “Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His Name when they saw the signs which He did. But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men.” John 2:23-24. In Jerusalem, many people believed in Jesus. But He did not believe in them. They trusted in Jesus, but He did not trust in them. Jesus knew their hearts. He knows all men. – He knows our heart motivations. They believed when they saw the miraculous signs He was doing.

Following Jesus
    Many followed Jesus when miracles were performed, people healed, food multiplied and when Jesus rode in triumph into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. John, however, trusted Jesus when He was condemned, humbled, stripped, whipped, bleeding and dying a disgraceful criminal’s death on the Cross.

How Far Will You Go?
    For the multiplying of the loaves and fishes, over 5,000 people turned out.
    At the Sermon on the Mount, there were several hundred.
    When our Lord commanded them to pray day and night, until the power from above came down upon them, there were 120 who gathered in the Upper Room for the Pentecost prayer meeting.
    When it came to the first outreach, there were 70 who went out, two by two, to Evangelise, in the highways and the byways.
    When it came to daily discipleship, when the Lord wanted men and women to be with Him day and night to follow Him and to be where He was, there were 12 men and about 4 women.
    Of those 12 men, one betrayed Him, one denied Him, one doubted Him and they all forsook Him.
    Only John went all the way to the Cross and stood, with the women disciples, underneath the Cross identifying with the sufferings of Christ.
    As the cost of discipleship increases, the numbers decrease.

“Do you love Me?…feed My lambs… do you love Me? …tend My sheep… do you love Me? …feed My sheep.” John 21:15-17.

The full message on John and other Books of the New and Old Testament, as delivered to Livingstone Fellowship are available on audio CD from: Christian Liberty Books.

The Old Testament Survey is available in book format and consists of 284 pages and includes 37 pictures, maps, charts and chronologies. The Old Testament Survey Audio and Data MP3 boxset (42 audio sermons & 39 PDF sermon notes – 28hrs & 18min) is also available.

The New Testament Survey is available in book format and consists of 304 pages and includes 14 pictures, maps and charts. The New Testament Survey Audio and Data MP3 boxset (31 audio sermons & 1 PDF book).

These are available from Christian Liberty Books, PO Box 358, Howard Place 7450, Cape Town, South Africa, Tel: 021-689-7478, Fax: 086-551-7490, Email: admin@christianlibertybooks.co.za and Website: http://www.christianlibertybooks.co.za. Prices exclude postage.

Dr. Peter Hammond | Chairman
    Gospel Defence League
    PO Box 36129 | Glosderry | 7702 | Cape Town | South Africa
    Tel: +27 21 689 4480
    peter@frontline.org.za
    website email

Give Send Go Gospel Defence League: https://www.givesendgo.com/Gospeldefenceleague

To view the PowerPoint Lessons Learned from the Old Testament Surveyclick here.

To access other Bible Survey articles, in English and Afrikaans visit http://www.livingstonefellowship.co.za.

https://app.123email.co.za/frontend/assets/files/customer/mf8948b8zy788/FF%20-%20Images/OTS-Emlbnr%24-300-(22Apr2020).jpg https://app.123email.co.za/frontend/assets/files/customer/mf8948b8zy788/FF%20-%20Images/GDL-Tracts-Emlbnr-2020-300.jpg

To View or print out the latest GDL newsletter with pictures, click here

Gospel Defence League is a faith ministry which depends upon the free will donations of God’s people. Your prayers and support are greatly needed and much appreciated.

GOSPEL DEFENCE LEAGUE T/A UCA News
    P O Box 36129, Glosderry, 7702 Cape Town, South Africa
    Email: info@gospeldefenceleague. Website: gospeldefenceleague.org
    Banking Details:
    Acc. Name: Gospel Defence League t/a UCA
    ABSA Bank – branch code: 632005
    Acc. No: 360 352 749

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.