Loving Life TV

Classic South African unbaked milk tarts-I made these and they are delicious!!!!

Home Forums COOKING-SA STYLE Classic South African unbaked milk tarts-I made these and they are delicious!!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nat Quinn
    Keymaster

INGREDIENTS

300gms (1 .5 packets) Tennis biscuits(I replaced these with shells)

150 gms butter, melted

700ml full cream milk

1 tin condensed milk

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 eggs, separated

50gms cornstarch

50ml water

pinch of salt

Cinnamon to decorate

INSTRUCTIONS

Break the Tennis biscuits into fine crumbs by hand or by using a food processor and mix in the melted butter until well combined.

Line the base and sides of 12 x 8cm individual tart cases with the biscuit crumbs and press to compact. Place in the fridge or freezer to set up while you make the filling.

In a medium-sized pot, heat the milk, condensed milk, and vanilla over a medium until boiling point (make sure you stir until the condensed milk is dissolved).

While that is heating up, separate the eggs and whisk the egg whites to soft peaks in a bowl. Set aside.

In another bowl whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch, water, and salt. When the milk is at boiling point take it off the heat and allow it to cool for 3 minutes. Add the egg yolk mixture slowly while whisking vigorously all the time. Return the pot to low heat and continue to whisk constantly until it thickens, about 5 minutes.

Add the egg whites to the milk mixture and whisk for about 2 more minutes until well combined.

Pour the filling into the lined pastry cases and allow it to cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge to set completely.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.

NOTES

The milk tart filling can be used to fill crepes (pancakes) or doughnuts.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.