Loving Life TV

The Great Star of Africa was not “stolen” from South Africa, and its history has nothing to do with Apartheid.

Home Forums NATS NIBBLES The Great Star of Africa was not “stolen” from South Africa, and its history has nothing to do with Apartheid.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nat Quinn
    Keymaster
    The Great Star of Africa was not “stolen” from South Africa, and its history has nothing to do with Apartheid.
    Neither was it “owned” by Queen Elizabeth II.
    It was not stolen.
    Learn a bit of history here.
    In April 1905, the “Cullinan diamond”, largest gem quality diamond ever found, at just over 3106 carats, was put on sale in London, but despite considerable interest, it was still unsold after two years (probably because no private buyer could afford it).
    In 1907, it was purchased from the mine at market value, by the government and Prime Minister Louis Botha presented it to King Edward VII as a birthday gift.
    It was cut by Joseph Asscher & Co. in Amsterdam.
    It was cut into 9 large, and a number of smaller stones. (About 96, I believe)
    The largest is named Cullinan I or the Great Star of Africa, and at 530.4 carats (106.08 g) (3.74 ounces) it is the largest clear cut diamond in the world. The stone is mounted in the head of the Sovereign’s Sceptre. The second-largest is Cullinan II or the Second Star of Africa, weighing 317.4 carats (63.48 g), mounted in the State Crown.
    Both are part of the Crown Jewels, and are therefore owned by the British Nation, and not by any individual, royal or otherwise, having been given to the state by the late King Edward VII (after all, it was his, given to him as a birthday gift, to dispose of as he wished).
    The other, smaller diamonds, weighing a total of 208.29 carats (41.66 g), were privately owned by Queen Elizabeth II, who inherited them from her grandmother, Queen Mary, in 1953.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.