Loving Life TV

The Worship of True Repentance-FRONTLINE FELLOWSHIP-PETER HAMMOND

Home Forums FRONTLINE FELLOWSHIP-DR PETER HAMMOND The Worship of True Repentance-FRONTLINE FELLOWSHIP-PETER HAMMOND

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nat Quinn
    Keymaster

The Worship of True Repentance

To view this presentation as given to the Ministers Conference 2023 at KwaSizabantu Mission, in Zulu and English, click here: https://vimeo.com/808335195

To listen to this presentation as delivered to the Ministers Conference at KwaSizabantu Mission, in Zulu and English, click here: https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=315231451144394

To listen to this sermon, in English only, click here:https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=6272314463017

David a Man after God’s own Heart
    David’s name is mentioned more than 1000 times in the Bible. More often than Moses and three times more than Abraham. Our Lord is referred to in the Gospels as the Son of David 12 times. If you ask the average church goer what they know about King David, most will remember his greatest achievement, as a young shepherd boy defeating the Philistine giant Goliath with his sling and a simple stone and perhaps his greatest failure, the adulterous affair with Bathsheba and murder of her husband, Uriah the Hittite.

King David was an extraordinary courageous Holy Spirit filled man, yet he fell into the snare of satan. Great artists such as Michelangelo have sculpted him. Many have named their sons after him. The best friend Africa ever had, David Livingstone, was so named after the Biblical David. God described David as “a man after my own heart.” (1 Samuel 13:14). King David remains one of the greatest men in the Bible and in all of history. His successes and failures serve as examples of excellence and warnings to all of us. If you have managed to avoid being ensnared in the sins that trapped David, be warned. “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” 1 Corinthians 10:12. If you have fallen into the same pit, be encouraged. There is Redemption in Christ.

There is good in the worst of us, because we are created by God. There is evil in the best of us, because we are fallen creatures. “The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked; who can know it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings.” Jeremiah 17: 9 – 10

The Demand for a King
    As the Israelites demanded a king that they may be like the nations around them, God told Samuel to warn the people of the consequences: a king would want a palace and an army, so taxation and conscription would follow. When the Israelites persisted in demanding a king, Samuel gave them the kind of king they wanted: tall, handsome, strong and powerful in battle. “There was not a more handsome person than he among the children of Israel. From his shoulders he was taller than any of the people.” 1 Samuel 9:2

Saul
    Saul proved a successful leader in battle, defeating the Philistines, the Amalakites and Ammonites. However, although he began well, he grew proud and presumptuous. Saul violated the separation between the role of a king and that of a priest. He presumed to offer the sacrifice at God’s altar. Saul was disobedient when commanded to destroy the wicked king Agag and the Amalakites.

Deteriorating Discernment
    Saul’s relationships deteriorated, first with his adventurous son, Jonathan, whom he sentenced to death for disobeying some ridiculous instruction that his son was not even aware of. Only the firm action of his army prevented Saul from unjustly executing his own son.

Disastrous Disobedience
    Saul’s relationship with the prophet Samuel also deteriorated drastically. In response to Saul’s repeated disobedience of the Commands of the Lord, Samuel declared: “To obey is better than sacrifice… for rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the Word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from being king.” 1 Samuel 15:22-23. Ritual is no substitute for righteousness. Obedience is better than any religious sentiment. God rejected Saul as king (1 Samuel 13:14 and 16:1). Do you trust and obey God promptly and wholeheartedly?

Disgraceful Defeat
    King Saul’s relationship towards the young shepherd, David, who had boldly challenged the giant Goliath and defeated him in combat, poisoned the last years of Saul as king. Saul deteriorated morally and mentally. He became fearful, jealous and angry. He may have been physically tall, but he turned out to be a small man, being jealous of his faithful servant and courageous soldier, David. His jealousy and hatred of David twisted his final years as king and distracted him from his duties. Finally, King Saul descended to seeking out and enquiring of a witch at Endor. Ultimately King Saul died in disgrace and defeat, committing suicide on the field of battle, where three of his sons also died. Saul left his nation in defeat, divided and in disgrace.

Man’s choice versus God’s choice
    1 Samuel focuses on man’s choice as king – Saul.
    2 Samuel focuses on God’s choice for king – David.
    “But the Lord said to Samuel, do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”1 Samuel 16:7. Lord is not impressed the size of the person, but rather in the state of their soul. Those who are faithful in small matters can be trusted with greater things. David had been faithful in caring for his father’s sheep, now Lord would entrust him with His own sheep, the nation of Israel

Wha what does the Bible mean by the Heart?
    The Bible describes the heart as the innermost part of a man“For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.” Matthew 15:19. As the mental centre the heart considers, knows, understands, reflects and remembers. As the emotional centre the heart experiences anxiety, pain, sorrow, despair, courage and joy. As our moral and ethical centre, God searches the heartsees the hearttries the heart and refines the heart. The Scriptures reveal that a person may have an evil heart, be Godless in heartperverse and deceitful in heart and harden his heart. By the grace of God, we can also have a new heart and a clean heart.
    “Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life.” Proverbs 4:23
    “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” Proverbs 23:7
    “For with the heart one believes unto righteousness..” Romans 10:10

David the Shepherd King and Psalmist
    David is the most versatile character in the Bible: a shepherd, a musician, a soldier, a writer of most of the Psalms, a fugitive and outlaw, and the greatest King of Israel. He was athletic, a gifted musician, and his poetical skill was of the highest order. David is one of the most prominent figures in the history of the world. There is more space given to the character of David than any other person in the Old Testament. He is described as “a man after God’s own heart” (1 Samuel 13:14).

The Treasury of David
    The Psalms, the treasury of David, is the largest Book of the Bible, the middle Book of the Bible, the Prayer book and Hymn book of the Bible. Our Lord Jesus Christ quoted more from the Psalms than from any other Book in the Bible.

Defeating Goliath
    David was the youngest of the eight sons of Jesse. The story of David and Goliath must be one of the best known in the Bible. It is the mismatch of the ages. Goliath of Gath was 9 feet, 6 inches tall. The head of his spear was 10kg. King Saul and all his soldiers were dismayed and terrified. Only young David, the shepherd boy, was willing to go down into the valley of the shadow of death and confront this giant. With no breastplate, but his shepherd’s coat, no spear, but his staff, no sword or bow, but a sling, no quiver, but 5 smooth stones, David came in the Name of the Lord. David relied on the Lord, as Goliath relied on his sword and spear. David’s victory over Goliath is a type of Christ’s victory over satan. David epitomises our calling to be more than conquerors through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Contrasting Kings
    Both Saul and David ruled as kings of Israel, both for 40 years (2 Samuel 12:13). Yet Saul was a failure and David was a success. It was not that David was perfect, but he wholeheartedly confessed and repented of his sins and transgressions against the Lord (Psalm 51). David displayed humility, faithfulness, patience, and courage. He repeatedly spared the life of his tormentor, Saul, refusing to assassinate God’s anointed king. Saul, an unrepentant sinner, went to death and destruction, dragging his family and country with him. David refused to take the law into his own hands. He trusted in God’s timing. David, a repentant sinner, achieved glorious victories over his enemies. He left us some of the greatest songs of worship ever composed in history. The Psalms of David have inspired the prayers and worship of God’s people for over 3000 years.

Jerusalem
    After the death of Saul, David was made king of Judea, and, 7 years later, king over all the 12 tribes of Israel. He conquered Jerusalem from the Jebusites and made it the new capital of the nation of Israel.

Sincerity is Not Enough
    When he sought to bring the Ark of God into Jerusalem, it indicated a desire to have God at the centre of the political and cultural life of the nation. However, sincerity is not enough. Neither David, nor the priests, followed God’s specific directions for how the Ark was to be transported. As a result, Uzzah was struck dead for reaching out and touching the Ark. Here we learn that it is not what we think, but what God says, that is important. The Ark was not to be transported on an oxcart, but carried on poles by priests. There is a way that seems right to man, but it’s end is death

The Danger of Distraction
    David also fell into sin by remaining in Jerusalem at a time when kings went out to war. (Some temptations come to the industrious, but all temptations come to the idle.) Although David’s repentance was wholehearted and sincere (Psalm 51), the terrible episode of David and Bathsheba confirms the truth of Numbers 32:23, “be sure your sin will find you out”, and “what a man sows that shall he reap” (Galatians 6:7). The baby died, David’s son, Absalom treacherously sowed division and led the nation into civil war, and much death and destruction resulted. Beware when you think you stand, lest you fall. When God gives you something important to do, satan is bound to send someone to distract you, to waste your time and perhaps even to derail you.

David and Bathsheba
    2 Samuel 11: “ It happened in the spring of the year, at the time when kings go out to battle, that David…remained at Jerusalem.
    Then it happened one evening that David arose from his bed and walked on the roof of the king’s house. And from the roof he saw a woman bathing, and the woman was very beautiful to behold. So David sent and inquired about the woman. …Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?” Then David sent messengers, and took her; and she came to him, and he lay with her… and she returned to her house. And the woman conceived; so she sent and told David, and said, “I am with child.”
    Then David sent to Joab, saying, “Send me Uriah the Hittite.” And Joab sent Uriah to David. When Uriah had come to him, David asked how … the war prospered. And David said to Uriah, “Go down to your house… But Uriah slept at the door of the king’s house with all the servants of his lord, and did not go down to his house. So when they told David, saying, “Uriah did not go down to his house,” David said to Uriah, “Did you not come from a journey? Why did you not go down to your house?”
    And Uriah said to David, “The Ark and Israel and Judah are dwelling in tents, and my lord Joab and the servants of my lord are encamped in the open fields. Shall I then go to my house to eat and drink, and to lie with my wife? As you live, and as your soul lives, I will not do this thing.”
    Then David said to Uriah, “Wait here today also, and tomorrow I will let you depart.” So Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next. Now when David called him, he ate and drank before him; and he made him drunk. And at evening he went out to lie on his bed with the servants of his lord, but he did not go down to his house.
    14 In the morning it happened that David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it by the hand of Uriah. And he wrote in the letter, saying, “Set Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retreat from him, that he may be struck down and die.” So it was, while Joab besieged the city, that he assigned Uriah to a place where he knew there were valiant men. Then the men of the city came out and fought with Joab. And some of the people of the servants of David fell; and Uriah the Hittite died also.
    Then Joab sent and told David all the things concerning the war, and charged the messenger, saying, “When you have finished telling the matters of the war to the king, if it happens that the king’s wrath rises, and he says to you: ‘Why did you approach so near to the city when you fought? Did you not know that they would shoot from the wall? Who struck Abimelech the son of Jerubbesheth? Was it not a woman who cast a piece of a millstone on him from the wall, so that he died in Thebez? Why did you go near the wall?’—then you shall say, ‘Your servant Uriah the Hittite is dead also.’ ”
    So the messenger went, and came and told David all that Joab had sent by him. And the messenger said to David, “Surely the men prevailed against us and came out to us in the field; then we drove them back as far as the entrance of the gate. The archers shot from the wall at your servants; and some of the king’s servants are dead, and your servant Uriah the Hittite is dead also.”
    Then David said to the messenger, “Thus you shall say to Joab: ‘Do not let this thing displease you, for the sword devours one as well as another. Strengthen your attack against the city, and overthrow it.’ So encourage him. When the wife of Uriah heard that Uriah her husband was dead, she mourned for her husband. And when her mourning was over, David sent and brought her to his house, and she became his wife and bore him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the Lord.

Nathan’s Parable and David’s Confession
    Then the Lord sent Nathan to David. And he came to him, and said to him: “There were two men in one city, one rich and the other poor. The rich man had exceedingly many flocks and herds. But the poor man had nothing, except one little ewe lamb which he had bought and nourished; and it grew up together with him and with his children. It ate of his own food and drank from his own cup and lay in his bosom; and it was like a daughter to him. And a traveller came to the rich man, who refused to take from his own flock and from his own herd to prepare one for the wayfaring man who had come to him; but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him.” So David’s anger was greatly aroused against the man, and he said to Nathan, “As the Lord lives, the man who has done this shall surely die! And he shall restore fourfold for the lamb, because he did this thing and because he had no pity.” Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more! Why have you despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in His sight? You have killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword; you have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the people of Ammon. Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your housebecause you have despised Me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’ Thus says the Lord: ‘Behold, I will raise up adversity against you from your own house; and I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbour, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun. For you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, before the sun.’ ”

So David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.”
    And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die. However, because by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also who is born to you shall surely die.” Then Nathan departed to his house.

The Death of David’s Son
    And the Lord struck the child that Uriah’s wife bore to David, and it became ill. David therefore pleaded with God for the child, and David fasted and went in and lay all night on the ground. So the elders of his house arose and went to him, to raise him up from the ground. But he would not, nor did he eat food with them. Then on the seventh day it came to pass that the child died. And the servants of David were afraid to tell him that the child was dead. For they said, “Indeed, while the child was alive, we spoke to him, and he would not heed our voice. How can we tell him that the child is dead? He may do some harm!”
    When David saw that his servants were whispering, David perceived that the child was dead. Therefore David said to his servants, “Is the child dead?” And they said, “He is dead.”

The Worship of True Repentance
    So David arose from the ground, washed and anointed himself, and changed his clothes; and he went into the House of the Lord and worshiped. Then he went to his own house; and when he requested, they set food before him, and he ateThen his servants said to him, “What is this that you have done? You fasted and wept for the child while he was alive, but when the child died, you arose and ate food.”
    And he said, “While the child was alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who can tell whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live?’ But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.”

Transgression against God’s Law
    Sin is always against God, against His Law, against His Holy character.
    Rebellion against our Creator.
    Sin is transgression, crossing the line and missing the mark.
    Violating God’s standards. Iniquity.
    We do not become sinners because we sin,
    we sin because we are sinners. Inward corruption and wickedness of intent leads to transgressions.

When God’s People Sin
    Abraham lied about Sarah being his wife, claiming her as his sister.
    King David committed adultery and murder.
    When our Lord was arrested, His Apostles fled.
    The apostle Peter cursed and denied knowing the Lord.
    As we learn from the life of Samson, Moral compromise makes us vulnerable.
    Temptation comes in attractive packages. Sin will take you further than you want to go. Sin will keep you longer than you want to stay. Sin will cost you more than you want to pay.
    Do you think that this can never happen to you? Do you feel morally superior to King David?
    Have you ever looked with lust? Jesus said that if you lust in your heart then you are guilty of adultery
    Have you ever hated someone ? Jesus says that those who hate are guilty of murder in their heart.

King David may have rationalised that he had risked so much for God’s Kingdom, that he had suffered and sacrificed so much and that he had fought so many battles, that he deserved some indulgence. Doubtless, David had resisted many temptations. He could have been fatigued. He had looked upon so much death and destruction in battle. Doubtless he was overconfident, reckless and a risk taker. Lack of gratitude can lead to covetousness. Dissatisfaction with God’s will can make one vulnerable to temptation. We must never be so foolish as to be gullible, believing the lies and temptation of satan who can make deadly temptations look attractive. Samson’s self-confidence blinded him to reality. He fell asleep in the lap of his enemy!
    Here we see: the stubborn self confidence of Samson, the seduction of Delilah and the stupidity of sin. The result was disgrace, defeat and disaster. Sin blinds. Sin binds. Sin grinds.

We need to remind ourselves that God gives the very best to those who leave the choice to Him.
    Love God with all of your heart. Trust God. Fear God. Do not fear man who can only kill the body and after that can do more. Fear God who can destroy both body and soul in hell forever. We ought to fear God alone.
    We need to flee from temptation as Joseph fled from Potiphor’s wife.

The Call to Repentance
    Acts 3:19: “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.”
    Isaiah 55:7: “Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.”
    Joel 2:13: “So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful,
    slow to anger, and of great kindness; and He relents from doing harm.”

Ezekiel 18:20: “But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live.”
    Hosea 6:1: “Come, and let us return to the Lord; For He has torn, but He will heal us; He has stricken, but He will bind us up. After two days He will revive us; On the third day He will raise us up, That we may live in His sight. Let us know, Let us pursue the knowledge of the Lord.
    His going forth is established as the morning; He will come to us like the rain, Like the latter and former rain to the earth.”

Zechariah 1: 2 – 3: “The Lord has been very angry with your fathers. Therefore say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Return to Me,” says the Lord of hosts, “and I will return to you,” says the Lord of hosts. “Do not be like your fathers, to whom the former prophets preached… But they did not hear nor heed Me,” says the Lord.”
    Acts 17:30“God now commands all men everywhere to repent.”

Repentance is a saving grace whereby a sinner turns away from his sin in grief and anguish.

1. The Holy Spirit opens his eyes to the seriousness of violating God’s commands. Conviction.
    2. The Holy Spirit transforms our heart to a godly sorrow over offending our loving Creator. Contrition.
    3. The Holy Spirit redirects our feet to forsake sin and to do such restitution as is required by God. Conversion/ transformation.

Repentance need not be long and dragged out.
    The tax collector who prayed “God be merciful to me a sinner!” Luke 18:13 went out of the Temple forgiven.
    The prodigal son who confessed: “I have sinned against Heaven and against you…” Luke 15:21 was welcomed by his father.

David’s Prayer of Repentance
    (A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.)
    Psalm 51:
    “ Have mercy upon me, O God,
    According to Your lovingkindness;
    According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
    Blot out my transgressions.
    Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
    And cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions,
    And my sin is always before me.
    Against You, You only, have I sinned,
    And done this evil in Your sight—

That You may be found just when You speak,
    And blameless when You judge…
    Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
    And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
    Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    Make me hear joy and gladness,
    That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
    Hide Your face from my sins,
    And blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
    And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    Do not cast me away from Your presence,
    And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
    And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
    Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
    And sinners shall be converted to You.

Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
    The God of my salvation,
    And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.
    O Lord, open my lips,
    And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.

For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
    You do not delight in burnt offering.
    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
    A broken and a contrite heart—
    These, O God, You will not despise…” 
    Psalm 51

Wholehearted Repentance lays Foundations for True Worship
    God have mercy upon me, a sinner!
    The result of such repentance is forgiveness, redemption, cleansing, restoration of relationship with God, peace with God and freedom!
    2 Kings 22:19: “ because your heart was tender, and you humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I spoke… and you tore your clothes and wept before Me, I also have heard you,” says the Lord.”
    Luke 15:7: “I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in Heaven over one sinner who repents...”
    Psalm 34:18: “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.”

Romans 5: 1-21
    “ Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.) Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous. Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

Our Lord Jesus declared: “he is without sin let him throw the first stone… Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more!” John 8:7–11

There is therefore now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1

The joy of the Lord is our strength” Nehemiah 8:10

Dr. Peter Hammond
    Livingstone Fellowship
    PO Box 74 | Newlands | 7725 | Cape Town | South Africa
    Tel: +27 21 689 4480
    peter@frontline.org.za
    http://www.LivingstoneFellowship.co.za
    website email

Give Send Go Frontline Fellowship Priority Projectshttps://www.givesendgo.com/frontlinefellowship
    Click here to see the latest Frontline News:. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/67668888/frontline-fellowship-news-edition-1-of-2023

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.